This post is a continuation of Seth Bernstein’s ongoing work:
I had a few people ask how I made the gulag videos–what kind of tools and time were involved. So this writeup is not about the gulag itself but about how I made the last map video. The last post was intended primarily as something I might show my students to illustrate the development of the camp system. What I want to do here is present something that scholars or digital history students could use to think about how one might make a map like this. For people interested in doing digital history, it may be useful to see the process and to get a sense of the kind of coding that is necessary to get usable data from a set of websites on the web.